Wednesday 26 June 2013

Review Wednesday – The Infernal Devices – Clockwork Prince



**SPOILER ALERT:  This review contains spoilers for the first book of the series, Clockwork Angel (see my review here).**

Clockwork Prince, the second book in The Infernal Devices series, starts a few days after the end of the first.  Following the havoc created by the Clave's search for Mortmain, Charlotte's management of the Institute is questionned by Benedict Lightwood.  As a result, she is given a forthnight to find Mortmain with the promise of stepping down if she can't.  In the midst of all this, we see Tessa grow closer to Jem and we learn more about Will's secrets.

There is definitly more exposition in this book, however the pace doesn't suffer from it.  The information provided helps us understand Will's motivations a whole lot better. In the light of it, I actually started rooting for him, although I had previosuly prefered Jem.  

As we learn more about familiar characters, new ones are introduced to us.  I particularly liked Gideon Lightwood and his brother, Gabriel.  With their father, they form a trio that is the equivalent of Malfoy and Draco.  The parallel is very clear, but since these were characters I tremendously enjoyed in Harry Potter, I didn't mind at all.  I can't wait to see how they will develop.

In my previous review, I said I had a hard time picturing the different locations in which the action takes place; either I was not in the right mood when I read the first book or Clare has greatly improved her descriptions in the second.  It was much easier to see a little movie in my head this time.  What changed in a negative way, however, was the love triangle between Jem, Will and Tessa.  In Clockwork Angel, the trio didn't know enough of each other yet to be deeply involved but in Clockwork Prince, things take a turn.  Once Tessa realizes that she might love Jem, we are constantly reminded of her internal conflict. Who does she love more?  What should she do?  At least she still doesn't mislead any of them and her choice is clear, if only on the outside.  I guess this kind of conflicting relationship is appealing to younger readers but I found it repetitive.  I have a clear idea of how it's going to end but only Clockwork Princess will be able to prove me right or wrong.

Despite the love triangle, I truly enjoyed Clockwork Prince.  I devoured the book in four days or so but decided to take a break before reading Clockwork Princess.  Hopefully, my refreshed mind will be able to appreciate it better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis